You Only Have Your Health

Signs It's Time To Seek Treatment For Your Erectile Dysfunction

It is not at all abnormal for men to have trouble achieving an erection from time to time. This issue becomes more prominent as men grow older and in times of stress. It does not always demand medical attention, but if you are dealing with any of the issues below, you should make an appointment with your doctor to address your erectile dysfunction.

The ED is impacting your relationship negatively.

If you are having trouble with ED so often that it is interfering with your relationship, this is a sign you need to talk to your doctor. Even in the strongest of romantic relationships, struggling to get an erection can cause some tension. While it may be helpful to see a therapist and talk through some of the emotional issues the two of you are facing, taking a medical approach to your ED is also an important step.

You have a heart condition.

Sometimes erectile dysfunction is related to a cardiovascular condition like poor circulation or high blood pressure. If you have been diagnosed with a heart condition before, ED could be a sign that the problem is not being controlled as well as it could be. If you have a family history of heart disease, ED could be a sign that you are developing the same problems. Either way, you should talk to your doctor so they can run a few tests and make sure any heart-related conditions are being dealt with properly.

Your ED is accompanied by pain.

Failure to achieve an erection is one thing. Pain in your genital region when you begin to achieve an erection is a different matter entirely. Whether getting an erection is causing you pain leading to the erection is fading — or pain is preventing you from getting an erection in the first place — this is something to have a doctor look into. Scar tissue in the penis and certain types of cancer can cause these issues.

You're suffering from tremors, numbness, and other neurological symptoms. 

ED can be an early sign of a neurological disorder, such as M.S. or Parkinson's Disease. If you have any other nerve-related symptoms, even if it's just some mild numbness in your fingers or toes, you need to have a doctor look into this.

Occasional trouble getting an erection is one thing. Trouble achieving an erection, when accompanied by any of the signs above, could be more concerning.